Saturday, January 5, 2013

I’m not under pressure to surpass Ijoya – Weird MC



Sola Idowu, aka Weird MC, speaks with ’NONYE BEN-NWANKWO about her life and career.
 The pseudonym Weird MC. I wanted something unique and it worked. The name has never worked against me.
 Why I left England
I am proudly Nigerian. I was born in the United Kingdom and partly raised there. I identify strongly with Nigeria. I’m from Ogun State and a proud Ijebu woman. I fly my Green White Green colours with pride. The decision to come back home was mine and I have no regrets. I’m grateful to God for the level of acceptance I have enjoyed so far and for making me successful. Immense opportunities have come my way and many doors have opened. It can only get better and I’m forging ahead. I’m a very determined woman. At present,  I’m pushing a new artiste and expanding the Weird MC brand.

Parental support
My mum was a huge fan of mine. I recall the first time she came to see me perform, she was stunned. I saw the surprised look on her face. She couldn’t believe her eyes. My dad wasn’t really happy that I took up music as a career. He was deeply concerned and never saw me perform on stage. He fell ill and passed on. I was shooting the video for Allen Avenue when my mum also fell sick and died. I was sad.
 Why I quit MCSN for COSON
It wasn’t an easy decision for me to leave the Musicians Copyright Society of Nigeria to join the Copyright Society of Nigeria. It took me ages to make that decision. I’m for change and I’m for progress. I really felt it was time to move on. Let us move forward with one voice.
Female artistes in Nigeria
I am pleased to see female artistes doing so well in a male dominated industry. I’m deeply proud and it shows that as a pioneer, I didn’t toil for nothing. I mean this from the bottom of my heart. It is not a race. So, the thought of being overtaken by new female artistes does not arise. I’m cool with everybody, especially Tiwa Savage. We actually performed a song together. Kween and Eva are my personal friends. Sasha is like a sister to me and Mo’Cheddar is someone I’m also very proud of. I love Asa’s music, Omawumi’s music, Waje’s and Chidinma’s music. I will not forget my sister, Evaezi. I represent a different time and frame. My style and sound is different, too. Please let us continue to blossom. Honestly I feel it’s an African problem that female artistes are still not as recognised as their male counterparts. There is still a mindset that women should play the second fiddle. But this will change soon. Female artistes are now being courted by big brands and it will explode in 2013. Also, this has to do with content. We have to go in hard. In a manner of speaking, we have to come out with strong content.
Popularity
I don’t feel bad about not being popular again. I don’t dwell on stuff and I always think ahead. In the past, it felt good being the toast of the music scene. I moved from dropping my Allen Avenue and Ijoya albums to becoming a multi-award winning female artiste. I proved that African women could sell records and compete at any level. It wasn’t just about me; I was only an agent of change. I was part of the history that was being made. A movement was being pioneered and I took off from where the likes of Onyeka Onwuenu and Christiana Essien-Igbokwe stopped. They made it possible for me and I’m grateful for this.
 Music after Ijoya
My hit song, Ijoya, is a gift from God. It is more than a song. Sometimes, I call it a spirit. Riranwo did well, but not as much as Ijoya. I love challenges. Having said this, I will never put myself under pressure to surpassIjoya. In this new album though, there are some wonderful songs. I did stuff with Shuley Dee, Tiwa Savage, 9ice, Mocheddar, Sasha, Sound Sultan and Simple Sam. I worked with producers, such as Sound Sultan, Olaitan Dada and DJ Zeez.
About the Weirdos
We never recorded an album. So, it’s not fair to say we didn’t have commercial success. We were just a group doing stuff on the university campus.  We split and I went solo.
Dress sense
Of course, you can catch me dressed up in female clothes. When my dad passed on, I had to wear iro and buba. I’m definitely a Yoruba girl.
 My new album
I had finished work on the album when, like a bolt from the blues, a hot new producer called Young D sent me some new songs and I couldn’t resist. We have started recording some bonus songs. There is a strong possibility of a change in title. It may not be Broken Silence by the time we are finally through with it. I have a music label called 0907 Entertainment. It has always been my dream to own one. It’s on record that Weird MC was the first artiste on the label. Now I’m mentoring and developing an emerging fierce female act called Shuley Dee. She is really gifted. To test the waters, we just dropped a single, Adure, and so far, the reception has been overwhelming.
Being a UN Cultural Ambassador
I was in Abuja on a short working holiday and I was invited to perform for the children’s parliament. I heard someone really loved my performance and the way I interacted with the kids. The rest, as they say, is history. I felt truly honoured that I was nominated to be a United Nations Cultural Ambassador thereafter.
My career
It has been wonderful. I’ve had time to reflect, re-strategise, plan and focus. I’ve been working silently on my projects. I was in the UK for some shows set up by the British Council alongside King Sunny Ade and Wizzboy. I am gearing up to drop my new album, as well as my artiste’s. It has been crazy working back to back. But I’m thankful to God.
No regrets
It was never my dream to become a lawyer. I was pursuing my dad’s dream and at a point I had to do what I wanted to do from the heart. I opted for music technology and I focused on my music career. I don’t regret not completing my law degree.
Punch Nigeria

No comments:

Post a Comment

ST