Saturday, September 14, 2013

Ethiopians Set To Sign Nigerian coaches


Ethiopians are known for long distance races, but they have been making inroads into the sprints as exemplified by their junior athletes at the last African Junior Championships in Mauritius.

Now the Ethiopian athletics federation is hoping to sign on Nigerian coaches that will make them thrive in the area where Nigeria dominated Africa over the years.

Continue after the break.

Ethiopian athletics officials sounded out some Nigerian coaches in Mauritius, but there was no firm commitment. During the Championships in Mauritius, Ethiopia was second in the 4x400m women relay, they also came third in the men’s race. Atareke Abrahaley was third behind Ada Benjamin and Rita Ossai in the women 400m.

According to an Ethiopian official, they were working hard at catching up with Nigeria in the sprint and there was no other way but to get a Nigerian coach.


Veteran grassroots coach, Tobias Igwe was one of the Nigerian coaches that was approached.

“They asked me for my CV and I have given it to them. But I have not heard anything from the Ethiopians. If you ask me, I would very much like to work for them. They are a great athletics country and no doubt I can help them grow in the short and long sprints,” said the coach. (vanguard)

No comments:

Post a Comment

ST